The project was aimed to create a landmark for Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The site with an area of 26,000 m² is located on the T-junction of King Abdullah street and Al Andalus street. The city of Jeddah was selected to build this remarkable land mark, since it is a primary resort city and serves as a hub to the two Holy Mosques. The outline of vision of Municipality of Jeddah Governorate follows below:
- Building the highest flag pole in the world, acting as a landmark for the city and the country.
- Creating an outdoor cultural space, in the form of a recreational park based on some national theme, which could provide as amusement for the people.
- Incorporating technical gadgets into the flagpole to make the pole state of the art and functional.
- Creating a safer and healthier environment for the maintenance staff to work and people to enjoy the cultural space.
- Minimizing negative impacts on the environment to conserve water and electricity.
- Landscape element indicating the direction of Qibla.
One of the constraint to accommodate within the brief includes positioning of the flagpole with respect to the landscape design without obstructing the freeway underpass below the project site